What makes your home unique to you?
I love when I can walk into a friend’s home and immediately see their personality displayed throughout their home. Maybe it’s in the many houseplants perched on the windowsill, reminding me that she really does have that green thumb. Perhaps it’s the aroma of freshly brewed coffee floating from the barista’s home. When I see the row of books lining a bookshelf in the home of my friend who is an avid reader, or the large map above the sofa of the globe trotter, I’m reminded that every home is special in its own unique way.
Women love to create beauty, especially in their homes. Our homes are a reflection of who we are. What inspires you, may not inspire your friend. A brightly colored throw may bring a wave of memories from that trip to Africa, sparking joy every time you see it. While to your friend, it holds no value and a simple white throw ignites her inspiration.
In making your house a home, you can create a retreat that is exclusive to you. Collect things that inspire you. This takes time but does not need to be expensive! The next time you walk into your favorite décor outlet, instead of buying everything that catches your eye, just go in for inspiration. Take note of what inspires you, then go to the nearby thrift store & try to recreate that look with half the $$$. Is there a certain sign that stood out to you? What is the style or wording? Perhaps it’s the font that inspires you. Snap a picture of it and copy it onto your chalkboard at home. What about that beautifully shaped piece of pottery? Take note of the shape and look for something similar in the thrift store. Don’t worry about the color- spray paint can do amazing makeovers! Another way to save a few dollars is buying new covers for your pillows, instead of brand-new pillows. This also cuts down on space while storing them.
Do you enjoy the chippy, worn look on a piece of furniture? Or would a smooth finish fit your taste a bit more? Check out your local auction for pieces of furniture. If you love the look as is, just simply scrub it up. Sometimes all it needs is a fresh coat of paint, making it look brand new. Don’t like the hardware? Spray paint the old or buy new ones. Customize it to your liking!
Maybe you love your home, and all the things in it, but it has been the same for months, and it is starting to look drab. Sometimes an area just needs a simple refresh. Here are a few suggestions:
- Rearrange the furniture in a room.
- Arrange fresh flowers on your kitchen table, or on the nightstand beside your bed.
- Plants always enliven a room. If you have a few, switch them around from room to room. Maybe even repot a few, to give them a fresh look. (Or simply slip the pot into a basket.) If you do not have any real plants, consider purchasing a few low-maintenance ones.
- Give a wall (or walls) a fresh coat of paint. It always brightens & freshens a space, no matter how small or large.
- Clean off a cluttered area. Come back and replace with only needed items. If possible, keep it completely cleaned off. You will thank yourself every time you see that clean surface. Another way to minimize clutter is by placing a tray\basket where things tend to pile up. Dropping the clutter in a basket makes it easily accessible but not as visible.
- Get outside, take a deep breath, and take a look around you. Shop your backyard & find something to bring inside. Collect a handful of twigs to arrange in a vase. Find a sturdy branch to hang macrame plant hangers on. Use a rock as a paper weight.
- Display your favorite dishes instead of hiding them behind cupboard doors. Arrange your weeks’ worth of fresh fruit in your favorite bowl, whatever shape, color, and style that may be. Wooden, milk glass, ceramic, or clear glass.
Most importantly, enjoy the moment you are in. Maybe you are not in your dream home, but you can still personalize it so that it inspires YOU. The Lord has given us as women eyes for beauty to create homes that are cozy and welcoming. He calls us to serve Him in the small things like creating a welcoming home too!
Are you a mom to toddlers, and it feels like your whole home needs to be stripped of all the pretty things? You still can have a beautiful home! Collect the strewn toys into a basket or drawer. Having your floors cleaned up, even if it is just for a few hours while the littles are napping, can instantly lift your spirits. Use your walls as your décor space instead of the coffee table. Little hands cannot reach the artwork on your walls. A collection of pottery can be displayed on a shelf as well.
Maybe you have ugly blue carpet, and new flooring is not in the budget. Try adding a coordinating area rug or use that shade of blue as an accent. Do what you can and work with what you have. A joyful heart and an attitude of service to the Lord will go a long way, even in circumstances we’d rather not be in.
May your home be a haven, inspired by you!
Bio: Taryn Weaver is a wife to Keith and mama to a one-year-old daughter, Analise. She loves lattes and beautiful spaces. You will often find her scanning the thrift store shelves in search of a good bargain, and always scheming about how she could repurpose the ugly into something beautiful. She recently started an online business called Your Inspired Home, where she & some family sell thrifted home décor. To purchase her thrifted finds, visit yourinspiredhome.net. Follow her on Instagram @yourinspiredhomellc